Savory Dutch Baby
Savory Dutch Baby, a delightful twist on the classic that brings a burst of savory goodness to your table. This oven-baked pancake boasts a golden, puffy exterior and a tender, custard-like interior, creating a canvas for an array of savory toppings. Picture a medley of sautéed vegetables, crispy bacon, and melted cheese harmonizing atop the Dutch Baby, creating a symphony of flavors that dance on your taste buds. Simple yet impressive, this recipe is perfect for both casual weekend mornings and special occasions.
- 1 tbsp Chef's Life Cooking Oil
- 6 oz chorizo
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 2/3 cup AP flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 large handful of arugula
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Chef's Life Finishing Oil
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- finishing salt
- Preheat Oven to 450 degrees
- Heat up 1 tbsp of Chef's Life Cooking Oil in a skillet on medium high heat, add the chorizo. Brown and crumble the chorizo until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Move to a paper towel lined plate to cool.
- Place butter in a large cast-iron pan or another oven-safe skillet. Place the pan in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Combine half of the cooled chorizo, the cheese and chopped herbs into a bowl.
- Put the eggs, milk, flour and a pinch of kosher salt in a blender and blend until smooth and fully incorporated, make sure that there aren't any flour patches.
- Quickly pour the batter in the hot buttered skillet and sprinkle the cheese and chorizo mixture on top, return the pan to the oven.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until puffed up and golden, do not open the oven door until the pancake is finished cooking.
- While the dutch baby is in the oven, toss the arugula with the lemon juice and olive oil, season with finishing salt and pepper.
- To serve, let the pancake cool slightly, top with the rest of the chorizo and cheese, and the dressed arugula. Enjoy right away.